The necessity of having a solid emergency preparedness plan was made pretty clear in the last few weeks. Disasters like the fertilizer plant explosion in Texas and the Oklahoma City tornado were stark reminders that anything can happen, and being prepared for the worst is important. That’s why it’s important to pay special attention to this week’s focus of National Safety Month…Emergency Preparedness.
The word “preparedness” is obviously the key word in the phrase. It’s essential for businesses to train their workers on how to be ready when/if the unexpected happens. Knowing the proper procedure in an emergency greatly enhances the safety of workers.
One reason why emergency preparedness is both difficult, and must be looked at on an individual basis, is the fact that hazards and dangers are extremely varied depending upon the workplace. A facility where hazardous materials are present poses an extremely high risk, and requires a more detailed emergency preparedness program, than a workplace where hazardous materials aren’t present. Each job site has its own specific problems to take into consideration.
Creating an Successful Emergency Preparedness Program
Implementing a solid emergency preparedness program can help make employees feel safer and prepare them to handle workplace emergencies. The process involves a few steps:
- Planning: Compile a list of potential hazard and determine how to respond to them.
- Implementation: Create an emergency management guide that outlines emergency procedures. Teach employees basic first aid and CPR.
- Testing: Make sure the plan works and can be easily executed. Run drills to ensure that everyone understands their role in the emergency procedure.
- Ongoing Development: Update the plan regularly, and have training refresher courses for employees.
Planning and information are two important aspects of a good emergency preparedness program. Check out the list of Emergency Response Resources put out by the CDC to learn how to develop a solid plan.
National Safety Month is about much more than learning about the right traffic safety vest or holding a company meeting about PPE. June is a good time to embrace the entire culture of safety. And that means paying attention to things like wellness. We at eSafetyStore know that the concept of wellness can be a tough one to grasp, but we’re here to help.
Wellness involves keeping employees not just safe, but healthy. And the effects of a worthwhile wellness program provide a ripple effect:
Exercise and diet programs, and incentives for living a healthy lifestyle can improve worker health.
Improved worker health can result in better production, good worker morale.
Healthier workers can improve the bottom line by reducing health insurance premiums and by being more productive.
Really, a well-thought wellness program benefits everyone in a company.
Wellness programs can be implemented in countless ways, but here are a few ideas to get you started.
- During meetings have everyone stand instead of sit. Studies have shown that sitting for long periods of time every day can be extremely detrimental.
- Have a healthy snack day. Instead of bringing in cookies or doughnuts, have workers munch on fruits and vegetables.
- Offer a health screening day where workers can get blood pressure tested and learn about ways to improve their overall well being.
The Centers for Disease Control has some great tips and ideas on how to start a wellness program. Check out the CDC’s National Healthy Worksite Program.
Workplace safety is always important, this month safety is brought to the forefront because June is National Safety Month. The National Safety Month theme is, “Safety Starts with Me”, which point toward the importance of personal responsibility concerned with workplace safety.
We at eSafetyStore like to think of National Safety Month as a great time for businesses to review their safety policies and educate workers. Safety instruction doesn’t have to be boring. It’s a good idea to try an make learning about safety fun. Create fun activities that highlight National Safety Month. Quiz workers about safety laws and offer prizes for those who score the highest. Have a month-long competition between work shifts or departments about knowing safety standards and workplace rules. Start a workout program during the lunch hour or begin a similar employee wellness program. Challenge workers to PALA+ (Presidential Active Lifestyle Award Plus) goals.
Get creative during National Safety Month. Workers will learn more if they’re having fun doing it.
Each week during June has a different theme, which provides something to concentrate on. Plan your schedule to coincide with each of these themes.
- Week 1: Preventing Slips, Trips and Falls
- Week 2: Employee Wellness
- Week 3: Emergency Preparedness
- Week 4: Ergonomics
We at eSafetyStore aren’t just about selling hi vis safety vests or other PPE. No, we also want workers to stay informed about the safety industry. So, if you’re looking to order hi vis gear or outdoor workwear, think of us. But if you also need tips on how to prevent heat stress, or what the right high visibility vest is for a specific job, give us a call. We’ll be happy to share our safety knowledge.
Won’t Abrade, Rip, Snag or Tear
Garments made of Trilobal Rip-Stop polyester can really take a beating. Like this ANSI Class 2 Heavy-Duty Trilobal Rip-Stop™ Surveyor’s Vest with D-Ring Pass-Through. Made from heavy-duty polyurethane-coated 300 denier Trilobal Rip-Stop polyester that is waterproof, extremely durable, and resistant to abrasion, rips, snags or tearing. Gussets on both sides allow a fair amount of give, so the vest can be worn over both bulky winter wear and thin summer clothing. Mesh strips on each side for added breathability. Features 3M™ Scotchlite™ silver reflective tape on a 4” contrasting orange background.
D-ring pass-through • Snap front closure • 3M™ Scotchlite™ contrasting tape • Eleven pockets • Mic tabs
Available at eSafetyStore.com, your one-stop shop for safety vests of all kinds.
eSafetyStore.com. Your one-stop source for vests of every kind! And we’ll print your company logo on them!
• ERB • OccuNomix
• Ergodyne • Radians
• Lakeland • Tingley
• Majestic • Viking
• M.L. Kishigo • Vinatronics
• Mutual Industries • Work Tuff
Check out this ANSI Class 2 Two-Tone Mesh Safety Vest with Zipper Closure, Mic Tabs and Contrasting D.O.T. Trim from Work Tuff
• Breathable polyester mesh construction
• Zipper front closure
• High-contrast silver reflective stripes
• Fully adjustable
• Plenty of pockets
• Mic tabs on both shoulders
• Solid polyester with a snap front
• 3M™ Scotchlite™ tape is super-bright
• A 1.5 liter water bag with drinking tube
stores in the back to keep you hydrated
• Freezer gel pack inserts keep you cool
• Four pockets
• Made in the USA
• Solid polyester on the front, polyester mesh on the back
• D.O.T. contrasting trim for maximum visibility
• Seven pockets
• Zipper front closure
• Mic tabs on both shoulders
• Full ANSI Class 3 compliance
Or maybe you don’t need ANSI compliance. You just need a lot of inexpensive, high-visibility vests. We’ve got tons of those, like this one – the Non-ANSI Open Mesh Safety Vest with Hook-and-Loop Closure, Elastic Side Bands and High-Gloss Yellow Vertical Stripes
• Good visibility in non-ANSI applications
• Cool, lightweight open mesh construction
• Elastic side bands stretch for larger sizes
• Hook-and-loop front closure
YOUR COMPANY NAME AND LOGO PRINTED ON YOUR VESTS!
FR VESTS! BREAKAWAY VESTS! ARC FLASH VESTS! SURVEYORS VESTS! COOLING AND HYDRATING VESTS! HUNDREDS OF STYLES!
Only at eSafetyStore.com, your one-stop shop for high-visibility safety vests of all kinds!
‘Tis the season to worry about heat stress prevention and Mallory Safety & Supply is ready with great tools and information to keep your employees safe.
The temperature is heating up, the job site is getting warmer, and the dangers of overheating are increasing. Be aware that risk levels increase greatly when the heat index reaches 91 degrees.
Summer outdoor work offers plenty of challenges, but thankfully there are a ton of safety products devoted solely to the health and safety of outdoor workers on a hot work site. And there are countless resources to help you deal with the hazards that the hot weather has to offer.
- OSHA has a comprehensive section on its website devoted to the Prevention of Occupational Heat Exposure. It features short tips in the areas of Engineering Controls, Work Practices, PPE and Training. OSHA also includes the Water•Rest•Shade campaign, and downloadable Heat Stress Resources for your employees.
- NIOSH has a large portion of the website devoted to Heat Stress. NIOSH also offers a convenient Fast Facts sheet that can be conveniently hung up on a work site. Download a PDF of the Fact Sheet here.
- If you don’t like the official way that government agencies word heat stress tips, check out this excellent article from EHS Today. The first two paragraphs are all it takes to drive home just how important things like cooling, rest and hydration are.
- The National Weather Service provides an in-depth look at how the heat index works and the dangers exposure to heat can cause. Their approach applies to everyone, not just outdoor workers, and they provide plenty of valuable information.
It doesn’t really matter where you get your info from. A long form white paper or a simple chart are equally informative. Choose the one that works best for you. The important thing is to know how serious the dangers of heat stress can be. Workers and foremen need to be aware that the summer sun and the heat it brings change how you operate on the job site. Staying informed is the best way to beat heat stress.
Mallory Safety & Supply features heat stress prevention products from Ergodyne, Occunomix as well as high visibility hydration packs from Vinatronics. Ergodyne has a complete program for heat stress featuring hydration packs (Water), Shax high visibility rest tents (Rest and Shade) and cooling banadanas, beanies, evaporative cooling vests, sweatbands, wrist sweatbands and neckbands. When it comes to heat stress and protecting your workers, Mallory Safety & Supply has it all.
We at eSafetyStore.com and ColdWeatherWorkwear.com have to admit that we kind of like big snowstorms and winter weather because it gives us a chance to outfit outdoor workers in winter safety gear. And when its icy outside ice cleats and other traction devices are important pieces of safety equipment.
It’s a good idea to keep in mind where you’ll be using an ice traction device before choosing one. They’re not all identical.
Ice cleats that use tungsten or steel spikes provide excellent traction on ice and snow. But they aren’t the best choice for workers who frequently head indoors. The spikes can damage carpet and flooring, and can slide on dry and smooth concrete floors.
The Yaktrax Walker is made from pliable rubber, and employs metal coils to grip the snow. These spring-like coils won’t harm floors like spikes can. Yaktrax ice traction devices are easy to put on over workboots and shoes and are extremely effective on even the most dangerous surfaces. Plus, they’re lightweight and can be easily stored in a glove compartment or on a coat rack until they’re needed.
One of the newer additions to our line of ice cleats are the Ergodyne Trex Heel Cleats. These have steel plates on both heels, but not cleats covering the rest of the shoe. The cleats provide excellent traction but don’t hamper the use of pedals when driving a truck, forklife, or other work vehicle.
You’ve got choices when it comes to ice traction outsoles. Just make sure that you get some, because I’m guessing that the snow and ice isn’t done yet. It just might be a slippery March.
The importance of wearing effective eye protection becomes decidedly more tangible when you hear true stories of those who have been affected by a serious eye injury.
Edge Safety Eyewear created a powerful video that tells the story of an 11-year-old boy injured when an Airsoft pellet gun accidently discharged. It shows the effect of the injury, and accentuates how important eye safety really is. The safety video also shows, in slow motion, how rugged Edge Eyewear is able to withstand the impact from a pellet traveling over 500 feet per second.
We at eSafetyStore have been big fans of Edge safety products for a few years now, and we carry a full line of Edge Eyewear that includes safety glasses and protective safety goggles. They entire line is extremely durable and also very stylish.
Edge has a variety of eyeglass styles, and they also have Vapor Shield, a military-grade antifog coating. Plenty of safety eyewear companies falsely claim to have antifog glasses, but the Edge Dakura with Vapor Shield, truly is antifog.
The bottom line is that you can trust your eyes to Edge Safety Eyewear.
Not Too Hot, Not Too Cold, Just Right!
When the seasons change, you can get caught between fall and winter. It’s not really cold enough for a heavy parka, yet it can be cold and drizzley enough to need some kind of jacket – one that’s not too hot and not too cold. A jacket that’s just right.
Well, we’ve got just the jacket for you. This lightweight ANSI Class 3 Soft-Shell Jacket from OccuNomix’s Speed Collection® is waterproof and fleece lined, perfect for keeping you warm and dry on those chilly and damp late-fall days. And man, is it cool looking!
Perfect for Motorcyclists
For starters, it’s fully ANSI Class 3 compliant: bright fluorescent yellow with 2″ silver stripes made of 3M™ Scotchlite™ material, among the most highly reflective materials on the market today. Two horizontal stripes completely encircle the torso, and two stripes encircle each sleeve, so you can be confident that other motorists are going to see you coming, especially at night.
The outer shell is made of 100% polyester high-stretch fabric with a water-repellent finish. The inner core is made of a waterproof but breathable polyurethane laminate hydrophilic film. The polyurethane keeps the rain out, and the hydrophilic film wicks moisture away from your body to make sure you stay dry. And of course, the fleece lining keeps you nice and warm.
• There are two front “slash” pockets, one on each side.
• There is a cell phone pocket on the sleeve with a zipper closure to make sure you don’t lose your phone.
More Great Features
• The front zipper closure and the zippered sleeve pocket use YKK® Zippers – the best in the world.
• Adjustable sleeve cuffs tighten down to keep wind and rain out.
• Adjustable waist has an elastic pull cord with a spring-loaded stopper. Pull it tight for a warm, snug fit.
ON SALE NOW!
This beautiful, high-quality, really hip jacket is on sale now, while supplies last.
Your price today: Only $65.99! A savings of $34.00!
Any size, any quantity.
Don’t delay. At this price, these jackets are going to go FAST!